If your basement has ever flooded, you know the amount of damage it can cause. You also know how expensive it can be to cleanup and restore. Basement flooding accounts for millions of dollars in damages to homes every year in the U.S. Since flooding typically isn’t covered under most homeowner insurance policies, many homeowners are left dealing with the water damage and water damage costs on their own. With spring around the corner (the busiest flooding season), consider protecting your basement from the effects of flooding by following a few simple tips:
- Get a sump pump with battery backup. A sump pump will systematically remove any water that comes into your basement’s lowest point. Most models come with an alarm to alert you to flooding. A battery backup ensures the pump will continue working if power outages occur.
- If your basement is used for storage, use water proof, plastic bins to keep water out if your basement does flood beyond what a sump pump can handle. For items that can’t be stored this way, consider elevating them on shelves. Use plastic shelves as wood or metal shelves may become damaged by water and won’t be sturdy enough to hold up during a heavy flood.
- Clean out gutters when weather permits it. Gutters that don’t work properly – moving water away from the home – are often causes for flooding not only to your basement, but other areas of your house as well.
- Seal all cracks in your basement walls and floors with caulk. Keeping water out is the goal. For major cracks, consider having professionals come in to repair damages. It may sound like an expensive task, but it’s much cheaper than having your entire foundation redone.
If floodwaters do breach your home and cause flooding in your basement or any other room of your home, contact a water damage restoration company. Our water restoration team works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week because water damage doesn’t occur when it’s convenient for you. We’re here to help day and night to help restore your home to its original condition. Contact us today for a free estimate!
Now providing service to Hilton Head, SC in conjunction with longtime local contractor Ranney & Sons Construction
- Beaufort County
Why Choose Us?
- Free Estimates
- Available 24/7
- Direct Insurance Billing Available
- Certified in Water & Mold Restoration
- State Certified Building Contractor
- State Certified Roofing Contractor
The team that was sent to our house was wonderful. Their experience and professionalism in our situation was outstanding. I was concerned about our children and they took every precaution (air purifier, microbial spray) to keep them safe. Not only did they have good work ethics, they were personable and caring as well.Angela and Scott S.